Monday, June 1, 2015

Maybe I Am Doing Something Right with My Son

My son turned 8 recently and is equipped with a humor that includes potty words (think fart, not the other "F" word), a fully perfected eye-roll, many great arguments that follow the words, "but mom", and occasional hearing loss when I ask him to do something that might interrupt the X-box or outside time. He has even built an argument as to why he should not have to shower 3 days in a row although he played baseball and pick-up football and basketball in 90+ degree weather.  I know these things are just phases and come with different stages of life but sometimes I need to see that sweet little guy that he was other than the 5 minutes before bed when he still asks me to sit with him for a few minutes. (Oh, how I have learned to loved those minutes: unless, of course, they turn in to 30 minutes of not going to bed.)

This weekend, however, my son did a few things that let me know that between obnoxious mouth noises and photo bombs, he is growing some maturity as well.

We heard two songs on the radio this weekend that he had surprising responses to. The first song was Pretty Girls by Brittany Spears. After listening to the begining, he says, "Mom, they just said they got to cut the line and get what they want because they are pretty. That's rude and it would never happen!" I love that he realized that it was rude to say you are pretty and to expect things because of it. Then we heard Bad Blood by Taylor Swift and he said, "Why did she say they couldn't solve thier problems? You should try, at least." That actually lead us to a great conversation about when to solve problems and when it is time to forgive and walk away, but I loved the intenetion in his comment.  Wouldn't the world be a happier place if we at least tried to solve our problems with others?

On another car ride, my one year old daughter was not happy so I sang her a nursery rhyme. Not only did he join in when she said his name, but he sang with me for 10 minutes that included singing Baa Baa Black Sheep about 10 times! I am sure part of his motivation was to get her to be quite, but part was to see her smile. He loves to make her laugh and smile.

My last proud moment this weekend was last night. He was watching Josh and Drake which I did not realize was on Teen Nick and I left the room. A couple of minutes later, he came and told me that he had to come in my room because there was an inapproraite commercial on that he should not see. I was very proud of him.

Latley, between Jacob's aformentioned challenging behavior and my diva daughter, I feel defeated many days. I was so releived and pleased to see glimmer of light that my son is on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment