Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Hey You, It's Okay to be Not to be 18

Hey you, yeah you, the one who is doing her best to defy her age. The one who has a ridiculously long beauty routine and takes daily selfies, often with a duckface.  You know who you are. You are over 30 but make sure you still buy Teen Vogue to keep up on the latest trends.  You may have even tried the bottle trick to look like Kylie Jenner (Is that the right one?)

I just want to let you know, that all of that is unnecessary. You can wear age appropriate clothes and still look stylish and even sexy. All that extra makeup doesn't take away your age, it covers up your beauty.  The selfies do not tell your facebook friends that you look pretty today, they tell us that you want us to tell you that you are pretty today.  And the duckface, well, I would like that to stop for all ages.

My point is, you're beautiful at 35, 45 or 55. You will be beautiful at 65.  There are amazing style icons of all ages who wear clothes and make-up that compliment their beauty.  I also see many moms at the baseball field and the elementary school who look incredible but don't look like their 16 year-old.

I am not a mom who does her hair every day or wears the latest fashion, but I admire moms that do. (I used to be one of you and maybe I will be again someday.) I just want to let those of you who are scared to look your age know that it is not bad. Embrace who you are.  Forty can look hot. Own it girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment