Tuesday, June 30, 2015

To the Imperfect Working Mom, I Know You

Dear working mom, we have never met, but I know you. I know your exhaustion, your joy, your stress, your contentment, your chaos, your disappointment, your excitement, your concern, your commitment, your patience, your frustration, your love, your wisdom, your humbleness, your devastation, your strength, your loneliness and your pride.
 
I could go on and on, but the point is, I know you. I am you. Well, not exactly you. Our families are different sizes and ages. Our job and work hours vary as does our commute and salary.  Our situations are not the same, but many of the things that we face are.
 
That struggle that you feel when you have a sick child on the same day as a very important meeting? I have that, too.  That stress you feel when you get the email that sports practice starts at 5:30, but you don't even get to pick up your child until 5:30, so now what do you do? I feel that.  Those tears that run down your cheek when you get into bed at night totally exhausted and frustrated because you nailed a work project but failed in making the time to help your child to nail their school project, or visa versa? Yup. Me, too.  The annoyance when you feel so good about the job you have been doing at work and as a mom only to give your house a once-over and realize that you are failing as a house-keeper? Again, right here!  
 
But, you know what else we both feel? We both get to feel that satisfaction when the boss or client calls us in to say what a great job we have been doing. We both get to feel that warmth when our children hug us and tell us they love us.  We both even get to feel good that our children are learning from our work ethic and that, as a bonus, our earnings have not only helped pay bills, but also allow us to say, "yes" when they ask for that treat in the store, sometimes.
 
This life, whether we chose it or it was handed to us, as a mom who works outside the home, is a struggle. It is a constant balancing act. But we are not alone. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.  There are an enormous number of moms who feel just like you. Just do a google search of your feelings and add "mom" to the end.  I am 100% sure you will find some momma that feels just like you.
 
You know what else? I see you. People around you see you. Your family and friends see you. They are proud of you and they admire your strength. And most importantly, God sees you. He loves the effort you are making and He is giving you His graces.
 
You are doing a better job than you think. The mistake you made in your presentation or the homework book that you didn't sign doesn't define who you are.  You are imperfect, but you are imperfectly trying your best by your family and that is a beautiful thing.
 
I will pray for you, not just tonight, but every night. I will pray that you find peace in the choices you are making and strength in your path. I will pray that you feel God's love in a way that offers you comfort. I will pray that you know that you are enough.

*I just want to make clear that I think all moms are working. In this case, I am just talking to moms who work outside the home because that is the message that I was feeling about when I wrote this.  I know that all moms feel some of the same things. I hope this could go unsaid, but as you may have learned about me by now, I have a problem with over-explaining myself sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment