Thursday, June 11, 2015

To the Mom Whose Son was Screaming and Pinching You on the Way into Daycare this Morning

I just want you to know that I saw you and I am praying for you. I saw you and your 3, maybe 4, year old son get out of the car and immediately go behind it, stepping away from the school. I saw your older son trying to help.  I saw the frustration in your face as you tried to remain calm and gently talk your child into going into the center.

I spent at least 5 minutes dropping my daughter off to her classroom and as I walked out, I saw you just walking into the center and down the hall to your son's classroom.  I am guessing it took you that long to get him inside.  I heard him scream and grab at your neck. I could hear in your voice more frustration than I did outside as you told him that he may not pinch you.

I wanted to stop and talk to you. I wanted to tell you that it would be okay.  I wanted to tell you that I have sisters' whose kids had separation anxiety into elementary school but that they were now well adjusted kids. I wanted to give you a hug and tell you that nothing is wrong with your child for missing you and nothing is wrong with your parenting. I wanted to tell you that if you feel, "working mom guilt", that although it is normal, it is fine that you work. I wanted to buy you a cup of coffee or a glass of wine or a big huge piece of chocolate cake.

But, I did not to any of these things. I could see that you had your hands full, so I gave you the  most knowing and empathetic look that I could and went out to my car.

I waited in my car for about five minutes hoping you would come out. I don't know exactly what I would have said, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Eventually, I had to head to work, so said a prayer for you. Maybe I will see you another morning, maybe not. Either way, I will pray for your mornings. I will pray that this was just a fluke and that you do not have this challenge everyday. I will pray that if this is a regular thing, your sons grows out of it and that God's grace helps you to get through it until he does.

I know it is very unlikely that you will ever see this, but I just hoped that if I sent it out to the universe, maybe you would feel some sort of comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment