Monday, December 7, 2015

Favorite Christmas Songs as an Adult

I have always loved Christmas Music. When I was little I can remember my parents playing it during the Christmas season and it brings back so many memories of our family decorating the tree.  As a child I loved songs like The Twelve Days of Christmas, Rudolph and Jingle Bells.  As a teenager, Santa Baby got added in. If you asked me to choose a more traditional, religious song, I would have chosen Silent Night or Away in a Manger.   Now that I have grown up (maybe) and love lyrics and tone more than I did as a child, my tastes have changed.

Here are a few of my favorite Christmas songs as an adult. I chose my favorite versions so you may see the same artist twice.  If you see a song or artist that you do not usually listen to, take a listen. Maybe you will find that your tastes have changed, also.  Maybe you will even add a few to your play list.

What are your favorite songs? Have you found that list has changed over time?  

*I added YouTube videos so that you could take a listen. If there was not an official version, I just chose whatever was avilable.  I am not reponsible for the creation of any of these videos.

When the Angels Sang - Reba McIntyre
This song really hit me a couple of years ago.  Like the song, I had gotten caught up in the commercial things and the stress was getting to me. I was headed into the mall when this song came on and like the softy that I am, I cried.


Baby It's Cold Outside  - Idina Menzel and Michael Buble'
I do not know if it is the back and forth or the playfulness in this song, but I just love to sing along to it. Believe it or not, the Glee version is also quite good.


Because It's Christmas - Barry Manilow
I know that Barry Manilow may not seem like an obvious Christmas choice, but his whole album is actually quite good. This song is one of my favorites.


Go Tell It On the Mountain - Garth Brooks
As I have gotten older, I tend to lean more toward the religious songs and the soul in this version just makes me happy.


Ave Maria - Luciano Pavarotti
This is my Dad's favorite as it was his mom's.  Growing up, when we would decorate the tree, at some point, my parents would play this song. When it came on, my dad would sit down and listen to it with his eyes closed. If you looked closely, you would see a tear run down his face.  At the time, I appreciated his love for his parents and his emotion, but not the actual song. Now, I love the song for what it means to my dad, but also for the song itself. If you prefer a different version, Josh Groban and Michael Buble' both have different, but great versions.


Mary Did You Know - Pentatonix
This song. This song.  Sigh. If you let yourself really think about the lyrics, wow!  If you really let yourself imagine what I would have been like for Mary it is overwhelming. The line that talks about kissing the face of God really amazes me.  This version is just beautiful. Reba's is also very good.



Don't Save It All for Christmas Day - Celine Dion
I know Celine is not everyone's favorite, but this is the first version that I heard of this song and I guess it stuck with me. I just love the message in this song.



Thankful - Josh Groban
Perhaps this is more of a Thanksgiving song that Christmas, but I think it sends a great message and is a great way to kick off the holiday season.



The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
Is there any more classic song than this? I guess I just had to grow up a little to appreciate it.



O Holy Night - Josh Groban
This has become my favorite Christmas song. There are so many great versions, but I just love this one.  That being said, I would listen to a whole CD of this song and I also love the versions by Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson (both incredible) and NSYNC (I know, I know but it's actually really good.)


Baby Jesus is Born - Garth Brooks
This song just makes me want to get up and sing and shout and join a gospel choir. If you need to get excited about Christmas, try listening to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment