Thursday, May 28, 2015

Allow Yourself to Be Disappointed

Last week, I went to an O's game with my son. It was a miserable rainy day that resulted in a 2 hour rain delay. After looking at the forecast of rain all day and looking at the condition of the field, I really wanted to leave about 1 hour into said delay. I was sure the game would either turn into a night game or be cancelled. My son, having childhood optimism, a love for baseball and less disappointing experiences in his life, asked me to stay and boy, am I glad! Not only did we bond (and snack) a little during the delay, but we got to move to amazing, 10th row seats because so many people left.

I have had a few experiences like that lately, and it made me think. Many of us have a habit of creating expectations about a situation before we enter into it. These expectations may be based on our own past experiences, experiences of other we know or simply something we have read or seen on TV. Recently, I against, my natural instinct, I went against my first thoughts and was pleasantly surprised by some of these experiences. Upon some reflection, I realized that allowing myself to face possible disappointment, I got to experience something just the opposite.

Sometimes, I find this to be true in such simpler ways. Sometimes I simply dread making a phone call or having a work meeting and have a much more positive experience than expected. It doesn't really matter how big or small, that pleasant surprise still takes me aback in a wonderful way.

Perhaps I have grown into more of a pessimist than I would like to admit or maybe I am just more realistic? Either way, while my expectations may still be low in some situations, by allowing myself to take the chance (or maybe being forced to take the chance) and having an open mind, allowing that positivity to sneak in, I have been able to benefit greatly. I encourage you to allow yourself to be disappointed. Allow yourself to go so something out of your ordinary. Sure, sometimes you will be disappointed with the outcome, but the disappointments will be worth it when you are pleasantly surprised.
The falling will be worth it when you fly!

* I had another great experience about disappointment, or better yet the lack there of, at mass. I got to hear a great homily. You can read about it in my post about vegetables and the Eucharist.

No comments:

Post a Comment