Friday, August 19, 2011

My Little Swimmer!

Over that past 4 years, I have learned that sometime I can teach Jacob things, and sometimes, I just have to wait until it clicks in for him. This summer we had one of those “a-ha” moments in the “big pool.”

Jacob has always liked the pool and the water, but he never loved the idea of water in his face. He would splash around the bathtub or the baby pool with full on excitement. That is, until he got splashed in the eye or it was time to rinse his hair.  At that point he needed the ever-important, eye towel to wipe his face. This summer that changed!

At the beginning of the summer we started with an inflatable pool and he was blowing bubble and putting his face in. Then, on the first trip to the pool, Jacob realized he could stand in the 3 feet and that gave the confidence to try swimming.  All of a sudden, he just got it. Don’t get me wrong, he didn’t join the swim team or anything, but he was independent in the water for the first time ever in the big pool. In about 6 weeks he went from standing and playing to swimming between my legs.  The best part is how much fun he has and how proud he is of himself. This was a big, new step . . . and he loved it!

Inflatable pool full of dad's hot air,
I was three years old splashin' everywhere.
 And so began my love affair with water
~Brad Paisley

No comments:

Post a Comment