Thursday, August 25, 2011

Kiss Me in the Corner

I don’t usually drop Jacob off at preschool; I am lucky enough that Holly does since she works there. However, our schedule got a bit thrown off today, so I took him.  Every once and a while he cries when I drop him off, but he didn’t show any sign of concern, so I didn’t expect any tears.  In fact, as I pulled up to the school, so did Holly, so I figured he would be just fine.

As I expected, he went in and played and did not seem concerned when I prepared to go. What happened next, however, was NOT expected.  I asked him for my typical hug and kiss when I went to leave. He looked over at me from the far corner of the room, the corner that you can’t see if you’re a kid entering from the hallway, and says, “come kiss me over here.”  He didn’t follow it up with, “so  no one sees,” but he didn’t have to. I could see it on his face.

Really? Really!

I though this didn’t happen for at least a few more years. In fact I always ask him if he will still cuddle me when he is big and he says yes. I guess I never asked if he will do it in public. I know it is normal. Even as I write this I am a proud at his show of independence. But still, my boy grew up a little today.  As proud as I may have been, I failed at hiding my surprise and unacceptably hurt feelings.  In fact after I talked a minute with my sister and headed out the door, I asked him for a mash (to bump fists, if you call it something else) and he gave me a mash, then he came over to give me a hug . . . in the middle of the classroom.  Thankfully, he didn’t get too big today.


Man, I love that kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment