Thursday, August 18, 2011

Time is Flying!

Mid-August in Maryland means last minute vacations, humidity and back-to school shopping.  For me, however, I have not been part of that last activity for over 10 years. Sure, Jacob goes to preschool, and I might need to get some tissues or a folder to bring his papers home, but I do not have lists of items to buy and I do not have to prepare for fights about homework.   As I watch this year, though, I have a different feeling.  I am realizing that this is my last year of “freedom” with my little guy and my last year of preparation.
As I think about it, to be honest, my anxiety level is going up. Once he starts school, I can’t use my every other Friday off to plan a fun “mommy and me” day.  We can’t just plan weekend trips and not care about how many Mondays or Fridays he misses.   I will have to start making sure he gets to bed on time every night and not just on days that he has pre-school.  No more keeping him up on Monday night because we are at my parents or because my favorite childhood movies are on. I will have to be organized to get dinner in and homework done after work before that earlier bedtime.  I am also worried that about doing the right things so that he is prepared.
Don’t get me wrong. I know it is only kindergarten. I know that he can miss some days here and there without a crisis and that homework should not be too intense. But . . . I also know it will change things, and I am not ready!
You know what that means?!? It means we have a lot of fun, late nights and maybe even a little learning to get in over the next year at my house! Maybe we will even work in a little time-management planning; Nah, that can wait.
If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree,
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up
Not me!
~Peter Pan

No comments:

Post a Comment