Friday, May 22, 2015

Are We Forgiving Ourselves Too Often?


I love to read mommy blogs and articles about parenting. I especially love to read those that I can relate to and include the real struggles of being a mom.  Many of these encourage us to forgive ourselves for not being perfect and I love this sentiment, but recently I have wondered, are we taking it too far? 
 
As parents, we are not perfect. We get behind on laundry, leave dirty dishes, feed our kids junk food, yell, lose our patience, forget about school projects, lose uniform parts, lock ourselves in the bathroom, let our kids stay up too late, allow too much screen time...the list goes on and on. If you cannot relate to that list in any way, you probably have very small children or amazing super powers. If the latter is the case, please contact me as to how I also can acquire such powers. I am not against spider bites or even a little malformation for such powers! 
 
Anyway, my point is that we are not perfect, and that is okay. No one is perfect. I also realize that as a band of mothers, we are in this together and by exposing our imperfections we can help lift up other mothers when they need it, however, as I said above, how much is too much? 
 
When I look at my childhood, my parents' house and those of my friends were pretty neat. I did not open closet doors or anything, but I did see my friend's bedrooms and occasionally their sibling's or parent's rooms as well as all the main rooms in the house and they were orderly for the most part. My friends typically had a dinner time with a full dinner on the table. Some may have been more complicated or healthier than others, but the dinner was there.  My friends and I all had parents with expectations of completed homework, manners and respectful language and there were consequences when these things did not happen.  Yes, my mom stayed home for a while, but eventually went back to work and many of my friend's moms worked. And, yes, we were busy. We has sports, dance and gymnastics. 
 
These days, I constantly wish that my house was neater, but allow myself to sit on the couch after a long day after telling myself how hard I work. I love having family dinner and do my best to make it happen, but make excuses when it doesn't.  I admire the parents that calmly explain rules and disappointment to their kids, but often find myself at the end of my rope snapping at my kids. I could go on, but you get the point.  I am not the mom you would find in a magazine or on a 50s sitcom.  In some ways I would not want to be, but in some ways I admire that and work towards it.   I wish that I could say that I am alone, but based on many a conversation with other moms, I am far from it.  
 
So what do I do? I turn to the internet.  I feel better because a friend on Facebook, a blogger that I follow or a stranger on Scary Mommy has posted about their imperfections.  I am not only reminded that I am doing alright, but I even feel justified in my mess. It's okay that I am failing, right? These other moms are, too! 
 
However, when I really look in the mirror, is it okay? Should I not be trying a little bit harder towards the things that might better me as a mom rather than making excuses? Has the world of imperfection gone too far? 
 
I'll be honest, I am not sure how I feel about this. I love finding security in my imperfections through my band of mothers. I love the humor in the articles and the strength in their honesty.   However, I wonder if this security is allowing me to accept my imperfections to a point where I do not worry about correcting them.  Maybe I need to embrace them in a different way? While pondering this, I came across this. I think I will give it more thought.




While I do more thinking, I would be quite interested to see how you all feel about this. Please let me know in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment