Monday, May 18, 2015

What Do Vegetables and the Eucharist Have in Common?

You know days where you are so busy that you can’t even remember where you are? Those days where you are longing for a just one day with nothing on your calendar? Well, do not be jealous, but I finally had one of those do-nothing days on days on Sunday. I mean, do not get me wrong, I did actually do things like grocery shop and take care of my kids, but we did not have anything scheduled.  It was bliss.

We also went to church but since we had such a lazy morning we attended a different church than usual for Mass, one that offers an evening service. While I have nothing against the areas churches, I grew up going to mine and really love it.  Knowing that I am not a person who always embraces change, I often do not create high expectations when attending a church that I am less familiar with.  However, this weekend, I was pleasantly surprised with the homily.  So impressed in fact, that I would like to share its sentiment with you.

There were two young girls receiving their first communion at the mass and the pastor called them up to give them a gift. He handed them each a grocery bag filled with broccoli and cauliflower. Although he explained that he even bought the produce at the nearby Wegman’s, the young girls seemed unimpressed. Knowing that would be the case, the pastor told the girls that while they could not see the good that vegetables do inside our bodies, we know they are good for us.  Vegetables provide vitamins and nutrients that help us grow and keep our bodies strong. They also help build our body's defenses.  After building a strong argument, he simply explained that the Eucharist does similar things for our soul but in a much greater way.  I found this to be such a great way to explain this to children and even to remind adults.  There are times that I want cake for dinner, but I know that it will not offer my body what it needs, so I eat a healthy meal.  Although I may follow with cake, I have made sure to give my body what it needs before giving it what it wants. The Eucharist is like that. We need it, and it should come first. Also like vegetables, it starts as something we need but with time, we eventually learn to the love them both and not just need them, but also to want them. 

Then, with this great message already shared, he went in to talk about the importance of attending mass. While he started with very important things about how mass strengthens us with the word of God, it was his last point that really touched me.  He said very firmly that missing mass does not make you a bad person or parent. What a great thing to hear!  Before you get alarmed, he was not suggesting that we miss mass. He did not say that it was not a sin nor that we should not make each and every effort to get there. The point he went on to make was that even if you miss mass, you are still welcome the following week or the week after that.  In fact he made it very clear that he, and God, want you there if even more when you’ve missed.

I love that he said that. I think that too many times, missing mass the first time starts as a slip up but after that it becomes intentional based on guilt, awkwardness and even shame. No one wants to be the one that sits during Communion, but what we need to realize is that God is glad we are there. And, perhaps that one return attendance to mass will turn into another and another.

What a blessed girl I was this Sunday, calm day followed by a great reminder from God through the words of a priest.

No comments:

Post a Comment