Monday, July 13, 2015

How to Write a Blog that Will Get Read (or maybe it won't, I don't know!)- My Top 5 Suggestions

When I first started my blog, it was just about my family, but recently, I have started writing about all things that interest me. In the process, I have been reading about how to gain more readers in an effort to feel out how far I should go with this adventure. In a nutshell, here are the top 5 things I have learned about writing a successful blog.

1. Write about what you love, but only if it will interest other and be useful to them. It must come from your heart and your knowledge as long as that will be interesting to others.

2. You should write every day. Well, maybe not every day. You should write when you are inspired. A good writer does not have to post everyday once they have loyal readership, but you will get more readers if you do post every day.

3. Create a plan with goals. The goals should be based on what you think is realistic, but they should also follow a plan of the experts if you want to achieve their success.  The plan should be based on topic, or time writing or financial goals. Or maybe even a rainbow. I am sure you can find some expert with color-coded goals.

4. Your writing is what matters. It is really about having good content, but grammar matters. Actually, none of it will matter if you do not have well-read bloggers pointing people in your direction.  Who you know will drive traffic to you and your blog. Then the content will matter, I think.

5. Social media is the most important element.  You should promote on twitter, facebook, instagram, google+ and maybe even myspace.  Make sure you promote the right posts to the right social media and at the right times. Facebook and twitter should be posted for different topics and at different times.  On second thought, you should always post to all of them. Well, promote but maybe write different leads on the social media. And only post on weekends, I mean weekdays, I mean before work, I mean before bed.

If you have read this far, I hope you realize that this was a total tongue-in-cheek post based from frustration.  It seems everyone has different, often conflicting advice.  I guess like many other things in life, what works for some will not work for all. If you have any actual advice that helped you succeed, I would love to hear it.  For now, I will be sifting through advice. Maybe I should tally all of the advice and use the suggestions that get the most tallies!

No comments:

Post a Comment