Monday, July 13, 2015

Tiramisu Ice Cream Sundae

My childhood best friend and her family were in town this weekend.  While my amazing parents had us over for dinner, I brought dessert. I had a goal of making tiramisu, but as I cleaned up the ridiculous number of toys in my house, I realized that was not going to happen. (Now that I look back, when did I start living in a world where cleaning toys overtook decadent dessert?)

Anyway, I looked up recipes for a deconstructed tiramisu thinking that I could at least save a step or two, but realized that A. only one other person thinks tiramisu should come deconstructed and B. it would take almost as long.   I needed a plan B.

That plan B became this pretty simple, semi-homemade sundae. It was rich and had all of the tastes of a tiramisu and as a bonus, the ice cream was great on a summer night.

Tiramisu Sundae
My hot fudge slipped off a little, but it was still yummy.


It is a slice of pound cake, topped with a scoop of coffee ice cream with a spoonful or two of mascaropne whipped cream on top, finished with a drizzle of mocha hot chocolate.

I will be making it again. And even when I don't, I will be making the whipped cream. And, I may be eating the whipped cream by the spoonful. Please do not judge. It's really good!


Recipe:

Ingredients:
Pound Cake (I used Enteman's for the sake of time, but you could make your own.)
Coffee Ice Cream
1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
4 table spoons Confectioner's Sugar
8 oz Mascarpone Cheese
6 oz Hot Fudge
2 oz Strong Coffee or Espresso

Whipped Topping:
In a cold metal bowl, use a cold whisk to whip your whipped cream.
Once peaks form, add 2-4 tbl spoons of confectioner's sugar to get to your desired sweetness. I prefer all 4.
Last, add the mascarpone cheese and whip again for 1-3 minutes or until fully incorporated.
Keep Refrigerated.
For best results, keep in cold metal bowl. Although the cheese should stabilize the cream, it will help it stay cold.

Mocha Hot Fudge:
Warm hot fudge for about 15 seconds in the microwave. You are not getting is hot, just softening it a little.
Slowly add coffee or espresso to taste.  You have the coffee ice cream, so you do not need it to be strong, you just want to get a hint of it.
Once fully mixed to your taste, you can keep refrigerated and then warm when ready for use.

When ready, layer your sundae and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment