Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Night of NOTHING!

As the school and sports year comes to a close, the craziness ensues. While I love going to things like end-of-season parties, author’s tea and volunteer breakfast, the craziness of it all starts to weigh on me.  I was completely feeling the weight of it on Sunday night after Jacob’s Birthday party. Then, last night, something magical happened.  We had NOTHING to do!

As I walked in the door from school, Jacob informed me that he did not have any homework! Since we do not have sports on Monday and no other obligations, that meant all I had to do was make dinner.  I decided to make the easiest thing I could think of to make and clean up; pancakes.  Jacob helped make the pancakes while Ella ate some puffs, we ate together and then we played.  For almost an hour, I sat on the floor with my kids and just played and watched a movie.  It was bliss! I love watching them play together.  I held Ella and helped her stand while Jacob played with her and surprised her, doing anything he could to make her laugh. There was no yelling about homework or rushing around;  just relaxed playing.  Mike’s back was hurting so he did not eat or play with us, but after Ella went to bed, he came down stairs and the most adorable thing happened.  Jacob heated up Mike’s pancakes and served him like it was a restaurant, complete with a menu, a glass of milk, a mint at the end (well, it was Jolly Rancher) and a receipt. We had such a great night.  Thank God for nights that we get to slow down.

1 comment:

  1. This is SUCH sweet stuff Aimee! I LOVE how you captured this moment and wrote about it and shared it. Those moments can make everything worth it! I love those moments as well- some of my best memories are sitting on the floor playing:)

    ReplyDelete