Monday, August 16, 2010

Crazy Friday: Our trip to DC with my uncle, my sister and 5 kids under age 11!

My Uncle was visiting last week, and I had to work most of it, but on Friday, I had the day free to spend with him and my sister Claudette and her 4 younger kids.  We decided to go to DC at my Uncle Mark’s request. Unfortunately, I had to take Mike to an MRI first.
Because things never go as planned, the MRI place was running late and then the whole process took longer than I thought.  As a result, instead of meeting my sister at my Mom’s at 11:00 am, the appointment was over at 11, and I still had to get Mike home, get lunch for Jacob and grab snacks for the day. Needless to say, I got to my mom’s after 12:00pm and we did not leave until close to 12:30. My sister has a great new SUV that fit everybody, but we were not trying to park that big ole’ thing in DC we decided to take the metro. Eight riders later, 6 that needed tickets, we spent a whopping $48 dollars and were on our way!
 The kids loved the metro, as expected.  Jakey decided that we rode Thomas on the way there and Gordon on the way home. Love that kid! Then we headed to the US History Museum. I know, I know, the Zoo, the Air & Space or the Natural history would have made more sense with all of these kids, but, this day was about Uncle Mark, and he likes US history.  There was a cool science section, and the kids liked Julia Child’s kitchen, the trains and auto wing and the weapons in the military sections, so there were highlights. However, I would be remiss if I acted like we did not also hear our fair share of, “my feet hurt”, “can we go back to the science section”, “I do not want to hold your hand” and “I’m hungry.”  By the end of the day, we were worn out and our craziness continued by trying to find bathrooms on the mall in DC after the museums closed. Needless to say, we found the bathrooms after much search and headed to the metro.
Because it was that kind of day, we needed just a little more excitement.  As we got on the elevator to the metro, Claudette’s 8 and 5 year old boys got on first. We then tried to let a man in a wheel chair on and get in, but the doors closed. . . with just the boys inside! Thank God, Allen stayed calm and hit the “door open” button in time and all was okay. Whew! Now, we were really ready to get back to my Mom and Dad’s to have dinner with the whole family.  One metro ride and a quick drive after, we finally got there, exhausted and a bit giddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment