Tuesday, July 8, 2014

My New Beverage Container and Sweet Delicious, Iced Coffee

So over the weekend, I bought an adorable beverage container that looks like a big mason jar but is plastic and has a convenient spout.   I would love to tell you that I just wandered upon it at a cute boutique and had to have it, but the truth is, I did not.  The truth is, I was on a hunt. You see, this jar, as adorable as it is, was a means to end.  The truth is, I needed cold brewed, iced coffee and I needed something to put it in.  

 I few summers ago I was introduced to the mild caffeinated deliciousness that is cold brewed iced coffee. Unlike brewing hot coffee and putting it over ice, this does not get watered down and it is so smooth. My fantastic summer beverage was improved a while back when I read a post from Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman.   She made the awful, wonderful suggestion of adding condensed milk. (Note: I did not say it was low-cal or low-fat, just wonderful)  This was a life changing moment for me. I mean before I had spent hours over the conundrum that is sweetening iced coffee. Well, maybe minutes, but whatever!   I do not like artificial sweeteners in my coffee and regular sugar has a tough time dissolving in cold coffee.  So what was a girl to do? I had tried dissolving sugar in hot water and adding it, but that was a pain. So this solution, this simple but mind-blowing solution, was just what I needed.  Ree also adds a little half and half but you could add whatever milk you use, or leave it out altogether.

 

So, here is how I make this creamy, scrumptious concoction.
(I love DD Coffee, but you can use any brand.)
 

 









In a large container, mix ground 1 lb of ground coffee with 8 quarts of cold water.  It will help if this container has a spout that you can pour from.  Cover it and let it sit at room temperature overnight.  
(By the way, I mean a spout at the top, I did not strain throught the spigot at the bottom as I was worried about getting grounds in it. I would usually use a pitcher, but wanted to use my new containers.)




In  the morning, line a mesh strainer with cheesecloth (I hear paper towels will work, but I have not tried it) and set over a pitcher or other container. Pour the coffee/water mixture through the strainer, allowing all liquid to run through.  At this point, you can toss the grounds or use them in your garden.  

Now comes the hard part. You have to wait, again! Put the coffee in the fridge and let it cool.  This much lasts me a couple weeks in the fridge in a pitcher with a lid.





When you are ready, pour some over a glass of ice and add 2-3 tablespoons of condensed milk. You can add more, or less, or whatever, but add some. It is worth it.  If you want you could also some milk.  And I guess, if you really want, I will not hold it against you if you do not add the condensed milk and replace it will whatever you prefer to sweeten your cold beverages.  Creamer actually works quite well. I suppose you could also leave it black. I could not, but you certainly could and still enjoy the mild iced coffee.  Now make yourself some so that tomorrow you can sit on the porch and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment