Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I Challenge You to Try This. (Here is what happened when I did.)


Over the last week, I have had two cars break, my A/C unit in my home broke and I came home from a weekend away to find ants. But you know what? I am blessed!
A friend of mine posted this last week and I decided to really try it.  I do not consider myself a huge complainer, well unless you include nagging my husband, oops!  I do, however, like to be in control (people may have thrown around the word control-freak). This need to be in control can stress me out when things go wrong so I find myself complaining.  I have been trying to work on it which made this a great challenge.  I decided that I thought it meant finding the good in things as to not complain about them. Wow! What a difference it has made. I was certainly challenged with some frustrations this last week, but I truly believe that trying to look at things in a good way made me so much less stressed. 

Let me explain the blessing in each of my frustrations so you can see what I am talking about.

After dropping  Ella off at my parent’s house last week, I went to brake and my car kept going. The brakes were working, but I my wheels kept going. This sounds awful, but here is the blessing… I was going slowly and was able to stop the car by putting it in park and turning off the engine rather quickly and there were not any cars in front of me. As if that was not enough of a blessing, I was able to start the car and get it back to my parent’s neighbor who is a mechanic that is very giving and generous with his time. He said he was willing to look at the car so I would not have to drive it anywhere else.  Turns out it was not anything major wrong with it!
The second challenge/blessing is that my parents are not using their second vehicle as they are out of town so I was able to it.  As I got in the car, it would not start. The blessing was that John, the amazing mechanic-neighbor was outside and looked at it. He said that it needs a new battery and helped me jump it.  I was able to take it to auto zone where they replaced the battery for me. As an extra bonus, the lady at the store gave me a coupon for 15%! (Oh, side note, my niece was at my parent’s and was watching Ella. I did not drop my infant off to a vacant home! J)
The third challenge/blessing was that after coming home from a weekend away, I noticed ants in my house. I know they are not damaging, but they gross me out. If you have ever had an infestation, you may be able to understand this.  Well, it turns out that that we got home in time to catch them before a full infestation happened. After killing what I could find inside and spraying outside the window sill where they were coming in, I was able to minimize the problem without calling pest control.
My last challenge/blessing happened when I noticed a wet spot on my ceiling.  After a little exploration, I realized it was coming from the A/C unit.  Yet, again, I tried not to worry and just had faith without complaining.  My blessing was that my sister’s neighbor who does HVAC work happened to be off from work and was able to come over quickly. Bonus was that the repair was minor and fairly inexpensive! Woohoo!
Through all of these inconveniences, no one was hurt, nothing killed my bank account and I was blessed with people in my life who helped me out quite expeditiously.   
I am so glad that this “not complaining” test helped me gain such great perspective. I now challenge you to try it. You may be surprised.

*I feel like I should add the caveat that I did mention my mishaps to people such as to explain to my coworkers why I was late to work or to ask advice.  I do not,  personally,  think that mentioning a challenge counts as a complaint unless you actually complain about it or wallow in it. In my case,  my series of unfortunate events became laughable at work,  almost like a sit-com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment