Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pumpkin! Pancakes, that is.

I LOVE FALL! Here are a few of the reasons; football, beautiful colors, my anniversary, apple cider, boots, Halloween, cooler weather, light sweaters, my birthday, Thanksgiving, jeans, and PUMPKIN!  To me, pumpkin goes well with almost anything. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin coffee, pumpkin bread. Okay, well it goes well with carbs, anyway. :-)

And. . . it tastes better in the fall.

I am not sure if it is because of the anticipation or because carb overload is better in cooler weather, or because hot pumpkin coffee is better and I like iced coffee in the summer. Whatever the reason is, pumpkin is yummy; especially in the fall.

In fact I just figured out what we are having for dinner. Pumpkin pancakes. I am not sure if I have bacon or sausage or anything to go with them but seriously, is there really a need for any addition? Can’t pumpkin pancakes stand alone? Yes. I think they can. And so mine will. Well, alone. . . with syrup. Yum! I want them, I need them, I love them. (Sorry, Edith Viorst reference. Wait, what? You don’t know who she is? She writes a wonderful book called Earrings! for children. To get the full experience of the book, you really need my sister, Maria to read it to you. But for now go buy it and read it to your daughter.  For a fee, I will see if Maria can join you one day. )

Anwyay, I am off to make my pumpkin pancakes. Here is the recipe.

And before you judge me, I am a “semi-homemade cook” when I can get away with it. So yes, I use Bisquick. Sue me!




So, this isn't my picture. I like recipe pictures so I added this one.
I couldn't add my own becasue I haven't made them yet, but you get the idea.
And, yes, my will be cute and shaped like pumkins. Well, no, they won't. But they will be yummy!

Syrup
(Regular syrup is great, too. This is just an extra treat)
Maple-Pecan Syrup
1 cup maple-flavored syrup
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Pancakes
2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick® mix
1/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 eggs


1.    In 1-quart saucepan, heat syrup and butter until butter is melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in pecans.
2.    Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375°F. Grease griddle with vegetable oil if necessary. In medium bowl, stir all pancake ingredients until well blended. For each pancake, pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle.
3.    Cook until air bubbles pop. Turn; cook other sides until golden brown. Serve with syrup.



*Update: I forgot to add that this is a Betty Crocke Recipe. Also, I did make them. They were a denser pancake, but SO yummy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment